Git version control is a popular version control for modern developer. As a ROR developer I am frequently use git stash. Sometime when an urgent fix come out I stash my changed and switch to other branch in order to fix it. Then I start to feel that git stash is dangerous as it only store code temporarily and easier to clean by git stash clear. So I found a solution and I write in this post here.
- Stash when we don’t want to commit our half working to repo.
- Stash for a quick save when some urgent request for other branch in the middle of feature implement.
- Move changed from one branch to another branch. I personally recommend this is the right way to use git stash. Why not git stash when urgent fix
- Accidentally do stash clear
- It doesn’t stay in separate branch. Git stash of every branch will all go stash Difficult to manage. Stash only manage by stash pop, stash apply and stash clear Messy stash
Before you switch to other branch please do the following command
git add . --all git commit -m 'stash commit'
Both command above will add every file you changed include untracked and deleted files. And put it to a commit in your branch that commit name as ‘stash commit’
Then switch to other branch by git checkout. After finished on the other branch switch back to your branch and do:
git reset HEAD^
This git reset will undo one of your commit and revert it back to files changed, untracked and deleted files.
So now you can go on with your branch safely.